The Cookie Cutter House Project (CCHP) is a project that explores issues and concepts surrounding ideas on “home”, housing, and community through artwork, blog posts, and (eventually) pop up community events.
The term “Cookie Cutter House” is a derogatory term to describe a group of houses that are all the same. Row housing (the type of housing I lived in most of my life) and early suburban communities like Levittown, PA and NY were considered “cookie cutter houses”. The fact is, the minute people move into any dwelling it takes on the personality of the inhabitants.
The group of links below are part of an online exhibition. Several makers from different parts of the US and Canada were sent a set of identical house shapes measuring approximately 9″ tall by 6″ wide. Using at least one of those house shapes, the maker depicted their idea of “what home is”. Along with their house shape, the individual maker wrote a few lines about their thoughts on the topic. They submitted their entries back to me digitally. There will be approximately 20 – 25 submissions by the end of the project. Below are the entries I have to date.
- CCHP: What is Home to Tracy Brunner
- CCHP: What is Home to Marlene D’Orazio Adler
- CCHP: What is Home to Cynthia Back
- CCHP: What is Home to Nancy Barch
- CCHP: What is Home to Helena Van Emmerik-Finn
- CCHP: What is Home to Cindy Fabbioli
- CCHP: What is Home to Allison Wooley
- CCHP: What is Home to Shonah Brown
- CCHP: What is Home to Mark Young
- CCHP: What is Home to Diana Vazquez
- CCHP: What is Home to Sheldon Strober
- CCHP: What is Home to Alice Sudduth
- CCHP: What is Home to Karen Muldoon
The links below are blog posts I wrote with regard to housing and community. They are also part of the Cookie Cutter House Project.
- CCHP: Your Local Department Stores
- CCHP: Sounds Familiar
- CCHP: How are We Defined by Where We Live?
- CCHP: The Local Landscape
- CCHP: No Pink Flamingos
- CCHP: Silent Echoes
- CCHP: When The New Normal Makes No Sense
- CCHP: Thoughts on McMansions and Suburbia from the Year 2000
- CCHP: Beginning the Artwork
- CCHP: The Origins of the Cookie Cutter House Project ~ Part 3
- CCHP: The Origins of the Cookie Cutter House Project ~ Part 2
- CCHP: The Origins of the Cookie Cutter House Project ~ Part 1