I began the Cookie Cutter House Project early in 2018. Though I have long been obsessed with the image of houses and buildings in my work, the act of relocating added another aspect to my thoughts on the topic of housing and community. I started to make paintings and artist books on the topic. I also wrote several blog posts on topics related to housing and local culture. Then it dawned on me that it might be fun and useful to learn what other people consider to be the idea of Home
I invited many art enthusiasts to participate in an on-line exhibition. Each participant was sent a set of identical house shapes measuring approximately 9″ x 6″. Using at least one of those house shapes, the artist depicted her/his idea of What Is Home and wrote a few lines about their thoughts on the topic. Each participant’s entry was then featured on this blog. All together, 18 artists from different parts of the US and Canada participated. Links to the individual artist’s posts are below.
- What is Home to Nikki Hansen
- What is Home to Diane Podolsky
- What is Home to Jane B. Miluski
- What is Home to Amy Danford
- What is Home to Jessica Eldredge
- What is Home to Tracy Brunner
- What is Home to Marlene D’Orazio Adler
- What is Home to Cynthia Back
- What is Home to Nancy Barch
- What is Home to Helena Van Emmerik-Finn
- What is Home to Cindy Fabbioli
- What is Home to Allison Wooley
- What is Home to Shonah Brown
- What is Home to Mark Young
- What is Home to Diana Vazquez
- What is Home to Sheldon Strober
- What is Home to Alice Sudduth
- What is Home to Karen Muldoon
In addition to the on-line exhibition, here are links to some of the current work I created for this project. I will add more as they are available.
- The Shiny Happy Place
- Expanding on the Theme of Over Development
- More Cookie Cutter House Artwork
- The Neighborhood: Completed Artwork
Here are a few blogposts related to the overall theme of this project, including very early work featuring houses and buildings.
- No Pink Flamingos
- How are We Defined by Where We Live?
- Your Local Department Store
- Thoughts on McMansions and Suburbia
- The Origins of the Cookie Cutter House Project ~ Part 1
- The Origins of the Cookie Cutter House Project ~ Part 2
- The Origins of the Cookie Cutter House Project ~ Part 3